Advisor - Village Savings & Lending and Market Development
- Post Date:February 23, 2021
- Views 354
- Qualification DegreeExperience 3-5 YearsIndustry Non Governmental
Contract type: National employment contract
SNV Netherlands Development Organisation in Zimbabwe is implementing the Zambuko Livelihood Initiative project in Masvingo and Mwenezi districts of Masvingo Province and is inviting suitably qualified candidates to apply for the position of VSL and Market Development Advisor for a one year duration period.
The objective of the project is to strengthen and diversify livelihoods among poor Zimbabweans vulnerable to recurrent crises. The project seeks to improve smallholder production, the governance of community resources, and access to finance and markets, and to strengthen and expand on-farm and off-farm livelihood opportunities. As a result, households will be less vulnerable to recurrent crisis as assets are better utilized and incomes increase. This projects also strengthens social cohesion, integrate nutrition, and empower women and youth. Zambuko leverages on ongoing asset-creation activities funded by USAID – FFP and others and build livelihood capacities to complement these investments, creating a holistic package of support, resulting in durable resilience impacts for economic growth. The project represents medium-term transition support for households, to help them graduate from humanitarian assistance and pave the way to sustainable livelihoods.
SNV is the leading partner in the establishment Village Savings and Loans (VSL) groups, fostering financial behavior change through financial education training, development of smallholder farmers’ capacity to access financial and output markets and the promotion of Post-Harvest Handling and Storage technologies to reduce post-harvest losses.
Under the direct supervision of the Program Manager, the VSL and Market Development Advisor provides technical assistance, operational support, and advisory services on Village Saving and Lending and market development. S/he will contribute to define and operationalize SNV’s approach on VSLA and market development; designing training materials, building capacity of SNV Field Officers, VSLs and Producer and Marketing Group, facilitate market linkages and public – private sector – producer engagements to address key value chain issues. The Advisor identifies opportunities and areas for improvement, to ensure quality delivery.
Acts as technical expert for the Project Managers and aims to create an enabling environment (by sharing knowledge, understanding stakeholders and environment) for the implementation of a project, for the project to meet its objectives. S/He is responsible for the following:
Village savings and loans
- Designs and develops work plans for field operations in the microfinance and VSL sectors in association with field office staff.
- Ensures that implementation of field programs proceeds according to approved plans and that timely corrective actions are taken.
- Facilitates VSL and Producer Groups linkages with MFIs
- Develops capacity of project staff on operation of Village Savings and Loan Associations and related initiatives.
- Oversees the scheduling and delivery of training to local Village Savings and Loan Associations to build local level capacity in microfinance for development.
- Orients staff on VSL methodology and conducts TOT on VSL methodology for SNV staff
- Compiles and submits monthly VSL project summary reports including VSL MIS, to Agriculture and Livelihoods Manager
- Provides technical input into VSL monitoring and evaluation (M&E) issues such as development of M&E tools
Value Chain and Market Development
- Serve as the technical lead for designing, implementing, and monitoring value chain and marketing activities,
- Coordinate partners including private enterprises, Producer and Marketing Groups and VSL groups working on value chain and market development interventions,
- Provide technical support for the formation of producer groups/cooperatives and other associations along the key value chains,
- Coordinate capacity development activities in the areas of organizational development, agribusiness, value chain and marketing development including development of training modules,
- Support Market-based SME development and establish linkages with business development services,
- Strengthen market linkages (local and international) through concerted value chain and market analysis/review of producer and marketing organizations,
- Facilitate public, private and producer partnership forums (value chain actors, implementing partners) to address key value chain issues.
- Contributes to internal and external knowledge development, ensures lessons learned are shared and applied in daily practice and represent the project on VSL and Market development expertise network.
- Initiates/ coordinates the review process and evaluation of advisory services in order to collect lessons learned, proposes corrective measures and ensures identification of follow up assignments.
- Participates in knowledge development/expertise groups and in internal and external networks.
Project and process development
- Identifies and proposes technical process improvements to the project team.
- Acts on improvement areas within the local internal organisation and processes and gives feedback. Ensures lessons learned are applied in daily practice.
- Reviews project evaluation reports, compile and share lessons for future project design considerations.
- Participate in rapid assessment or pre-testing of ideas as part of program development
- Acts as a direct supervisor to the Project Field Officers and a technical expert in VSL and Market Development, applies process improvements in projects
- Coaches Project Field Officers and associated partners both professionally as operationally on quality of context within projects
- Identifies and analyses market opportunities and threats and ensures relevant colleagues are informed.
- Actively participates in strategic positioning meetings and acts as a knowledgeable face of the project to partners, project participants and stakeholders. Analyses, understands and develops networks with relevant stakeholders, private sector companies and service providers.
- Builds, maintains and utilises relationships with relevant stakeholders
- Represents SNV and identifies opportunities for Business Development policies and procedures.
- Initiates assignments on a local level, supports proposals and develops technical processes during the inception phase of projects.
- Degree in Agricultural Economics /Development studies/Business studies/Economics/Social Sciences or equivalent
- 4-5 years’ experience in Community development with Village savings and Lending, Value Chain and Market development
- Knowledge and experience in socio-economic development
- Experience in developing training materials
- Experience in facilitating trainings and training of trainers
- Understanding and demonstrated commitment to the importance of gender and youth issues in food security, livelihood and resilience programming.
- Proficiency in computer skills including experience of MS Word, Excel, and VSL MIS
- Ability to work independently and within a team
- High analytical skills and strong attention to deal
- Excellent writing skills
- Excellent people management skills
- Pro-active problem solving and organizing skills
- Strong attention to detail
- A clean class 4 driver’s license is a prerequisite.
How to apply
Please apply by clicking on the “Apply Now” tab on this page and submitting a CV and Cover letter in English before 28 February 2021.
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.