Administrative Assistant (Forecast-based Action Project)
- Post Date:July 9, 2021
- Apply Before: July 24, 2021
- Views 515
- Career Level AssistantQualification DegreeExperience 1-3 Years
- Industry Non Governmental
Base Town: Harare
Welthungerhilfe (www.welthungerhilfe.de) is one of the largest and respected private organisations in the field of development cooperation and humanitarian aid in Germany. We carry out projects in 39 countries and campaigns for fairer cooperation within developing countries. Primarily in co-operation with local partner organisations, our task is to contribute to the improvement in nutritional and income base for the low-income populations in Africa, Asia and Latin America. Welthungerhilfe has been implementing projects in Zimbabwe since 1980. Sector focus is on Water Sanitation and Hygiene, Food and Nutrition Security, Livelihoods and when necessary, Emergency response.
Welthungerhilfe is working on a project entitled “Development of Forecast-based Action mechanism” addressing drought induced food insecurity in Madagascar, Zimbabwe and Kenya”, briefly called Forecast-based Action (FbA) Project. The multi-country approach applied within the FbA Project by Welthungerhilfe (WHH), requires an operational structure within each project country to address the complexity and scope of in-country interventions (including networking, partnering, contracting, MEAL, etc.) To anchor the mind set for anticipatory humanitarian assistance, including Early Warning Early Action in-country, and build capacities on the job with national stakeholders, there is need for the FbA Country Teams to engage in learning, knowledge management, dissemination and advocacy activities. This is to support and contribute to the paradigm shift of the national humanitarian systems in Madagascar, Zimbabwe and Kenya towards early warning and early action.
Further, for the FbA Project to meet the institutional donor obligations towards the German Federal Foreign Office (GFFO), FbA Country Teams are established within each of the Welthungerhilfe country offices in Madagascar, Zimbabwe and Kenya. For a smooth implementation of the FbA country operations, it is essential to equip the FbA Country Teams with both, special FbA expertise but also with the necessary competencies and experiences regarding project, financial, and operational support from the Welthungerhilfe Country Offices. We are looking for a suitable candidate to fill the position below. If you are prepared to dedicate yourself to carrying out projects under sometimes difficult conditions, and you match the requirements set out below, we look forward to receiving your application.
The Administration Assistant will be responsible for handling the day-to-day activities of the accounting, finance and administration department. The role comprises a wide range of accounting duties and functions that need to be executed in an effective manner and according to laid down policies of the organization. The Administrative Assistant will work under the supervision of the Financial Administrator.
The Administrative Assistant will be expected to:
- Book cash transactions daily and reconciles the cash in hand against the cash book balance daily. Any differences identified are resolved on the same day with the immediate superior, Closes Cash and Bank books on the 1st and 5th respectively of every month;
- Prepares bank and cash reconciliations in Funds Pro before closing bank and cash books;
- Settles bank or cash differences created in Funds Pro within a maximum period of two months;
- Scans vouchers monthly and ensures that by the end of the following period the vouchers for the previous period will all be in Funds Pro;
- Follows up on advances daily and ensures that no advance goes beyond thirty days. Reconciles receivables monthly and share the reconciliation with the Financial Administrator;
- Prepares and makes payments to service providers and suppliers;
- Settles statutory payments (PAYE, withholding tax and NSSA) in the month that the deductions are done and submits the remittances to the Country Office Financial Administrator ;
- Prepares schedules for VAT refund and have them reviewed by the Financial Administrator;
- Serves as a resource person on withdrawing cash from the bank;
- Uploads payments onto the bank’s online platform for approval by Authorizers;
- Handles stationery and generates a stationery movement report monthly;
- Handles small procurement at project level;
- Prepares the payment voucher for Direct payment request and ensure that all the supporting documents are attached to the payment voucher before forwarding the documents to the Financial Administrator for review;
- Files Fund requests on PROMIS under the respective project;
- Completes the relevant checklists for monthly closure;
- Serves as a resource person during audits;
- Receives and sends data every time he/she logs in to Funds Pro;
- Any other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Qualifications, skills and experience required:
- University Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or related field;
- Mature, excellent team player with good self-management practices;
- At least 2 years’ experience in a similar role;
- Excellent communication and ICT skills.
Interested candidates should submit a letter of motivation and their CVs to [email protected] Please state the position applied for in the subject line of the email.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
During the application process, WHH will not charge any fee nor will it require any payment for an application to be considered. WHH is an equal opportunity employer and employs personnel without regard to race, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, language, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status and or physical handicap. Persons with disability are encouraged to apply.
Deadline: 21 July 2021