2 (Two) Laboratory Scientists
- Post Date:October 22, 2021
- Views 256
- Career Level OtherQualification DegreeExperience 1-3 Years
- Industry Health Care
Location: Gweru and Victoria Falls
The Biomedical Research and Training Institute (BRTI) is implementing a 5-year US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention-US President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (CDC-PEPFAR) funded Laboratory Systems Strengthening (LSS) program in Zimbabwe from 2021 to 2026. This is in support of the Ministry of Health and Child Care (MOHCC) Directorate of Laboratory Services, and AIDS and TB program’s national strategic objectives. The LSS program will expand laboratory capacity and enhance access to high quality testing towards achievement of the UNAIDS 95-95-95 goals.
Roles and responsibilities
The Lab Scientists will be responsible for carrying out VL / EID tests under the supervision of the laboratory mentors; They will also carry out duties as follows:
- Work collaboratively with other laboratory personnel to ensure targets for supported tests including Viral Load and EID are being consistently met;
- Specimen management for supported tests (e.g., Viral Load / EID) including ensuring proper receiving, sorting, rejection, accessioning, registration in LIMS and proper storage prior to testing;
- Ensuring proper monitoring of specimen transport conditions including temperature monitoring to ensure high quality samples are delivered to the laboratory;
- Ensuring good clinical laboratory practice as well as providing technical assistance to other laboratory personnel;
- Monitoring reagent and consumable stock status, placing orders, and following up with NATPHARM or BRTI to ensure uninterrupted testing due to stock outs;
- Carrying out and documenting routine user equipment maintenance to control equipment downtime; Performance of relevant quality assurance activities including IQC, EQA;
- Compiling and submitting periodic reports in collaboration with other laboratory personnel, including weekly, monthly, quarterly reports and other reports as needed;
- Results management including appropriate maintenance of traceable records of all tests done, ensuring patient results are being dispatched and picked up by riders;
- Immediate communication of critical / significant results with ordering health facilities including unsuppressed Viral Load results or positive EID results and ensuring consistent documentation of such communication.
Qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Medical Laboratory Sciences, valid registration with the Professional Body;
- 2- 3 years’ experience in HIV Viral Load and EID molecular testing;
- Knowledge of laboratory QMS, a must.
Candidates can submit their detailed CVs, motivation letter, proof of prior experience and proficiency in the stated assignment, salary indication and 3 professional references to:
The Human Resources Officer,
Biomedical Research and Training Institute (LSS COP 21),
10 Seagrave Road,
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 29 October 2021
Related Jobs (22)
2 x Projects Coordinator (Midlands Province & Matebeleland North) on December 5, 2021 Full Time